Stephanie J. Spielman, PhD (PI)
Department of Biological Sciences
Science Hall 201D
spielman <at> rowan <dot> edu
856-256-5400 Ext. 53578
I am an Assistant Professor in the Department of Biological Sciences at Rowan University. I earned my Ph.D. in 2016 from the Ecology, Evolution, and Behavior graduate program at The University of Texas at Austin.
Current Lab Members
- Chante Bethell, MS in Bioinformatics. (2018 - Present)
Prospective Lab Members
I am currently accepting motivated and eager undergraduate and Masters students. I am happy take undergraduate students of any discipline/major, but the most direct route to joining my lab as a Masters student is through Rowan University’s MS in Bioinformatics. At a minimum, students interested in joining the lab group must come with the following skills already under their belt:
- Experience with at least one programming language. In this lab, we primary use Python and R. If you are familiar with concepts and techniques in programming but do not have experience with these languages, I will provide you with materials you can work on to master them.
- Experience working with the command line (terminal, UNIX).
- An active, engaged, and (potentially) specific interest in the work my research group conducts.
I am also very happy to take on part-time students who would like to establish collaborative research here at Rowan University. For this, you will need to be an active member of a different research group where your project would benefit from a bioinformatics/computational component.
How to join the lab
Before inquiring about research opportunities, please take some time to learn about the lab’s research and environment by reading over the Research and Lab Philosophy pages.
If everything looks up your alley, feel free to email me at
In this email, you should:
- Attach a recent copy of your resume/CV and transcript (unofficial ok).
- In the body of your email, clearly explain why you want to join the research group, from a scientific interests perspective.
- In the body of your email, provide a brief overview of your programming/bioinformatics background.