List of Publications and Selected Presentations
- Adarshpal S. Sethi and Vasil Y. Hnatyshin "The Practical OPNET User Guide for Computer Network Simulation," 527 pages, Chapman and Hall/CRC (August 24, 2012), ISBN-10: 1439812055, ISBN-13: 978-1439812051 (www.amazon.com link)
ZigBee for Vehicular Communication
- J. Wakemen, M. Hodson, P. Shafer, and V. Hnatyshin, "Using High-Powered Long-Range ZigBee Devices for Communication During Amateur Car Racing Events", in Proc. of International Conference on Wireless Communications, Vehicular Technology, Information Theory and Aerospace and Electronic Systems Technology (WirelessVITAE-2013), Global Wireless Summit 2013, Atlantic City, NJ June 2013 (PDF).
Location Enhanced Routing in MANET
- Rob Hussey, Earl Huff, Zabih Shinwari, Vasil Hnatyshin, "A Comparative Study of Proactive and Reactive Geographical Routing Protocols for MANET," in Proc. of the 12th International Conference on Wireless Networks (ICWN' 13), July 22-25, 2013, Las Vegas, USA (PDF)
- Vasil Hnatyshin, "Improving Manet Routing Protocols Through The Use Of Geographical Information," International Journal of Wireless & Mobile Networks (IJWMN), Vol. 5, No. 2, April 2013, DOI : 10.5121/ijwmn.2013.5201 (PDF)
- Vasil Hnatyshin, Remo Cocco, Malik Ahmed, Dan Urbano, "Dynamically Adjusting the Request Zone in GeoAODV Protocol," In Proc. of OPNETWORK 2012 International Conference, Washington, DC, August 2012 - received distinguished paper award (PDF).
- Remo Cocco, Vasil Hnatyshin, Malik Ahmed, Dan Urbano, "Improving Geographical AODV Protocol by Dynamically Adjusting the Request Zone," presented at 35th IEEE Sarnoff Symposium, Newark, NJ, May 2012. Short paper (PDF), Poster (PPT)
- V. Hnatyshin, M. Ahmed, R. Cocco, and D. Urbano, "A Comparative Study of Location Aided Routing Protocols for MANET", In Proceedings of 4th IEEE IFIP Wireless Days 2011 conference, Niagara Falls, Canada (PDF).
- V. Hnatyshin and H. Asenov, "Design and Implementation of an OPNET model for simulating GeoAODV MANET routing protocol", In Proceedings of OPNETWORK 2010, Session 1558 Customer Presentations: Wireless Ad Hoc and Wireless Personal Area Networks, Washington DC, August 2010 (PDF, DOCX).
- V. Hnatyshin, H. Asenov, J. Robinson, "Practical methodology for modeling wireless routing protocols using OPNET Modeler", In Proceedings of 21st International Conference on Modeling and Simulation (MS 2010), July 15 - 17, 2010, Banff, Alberta, Canada (PDF, DOC, DOCX).
- H. Asenov, V. Hnatyshin, and A. Fabian, "OPNET implementation of the GeoAODV routing protocol", poster presentation at the Consortium for Computing Sciences in Colleges 25th Annual Eastern Conference , Villanova University, Villanova, PA, October, 2009 (Abstract- PDF, Poster - PPTX).
- H. Asenov, and V. Hnatyshin, "GPS-Enhanced AODV routing," in Proceedings of the 2009 International Conference on Wireless Networks (ICWN'09), Las Vegas, Nevada, USA (July 13-16, 2009) . (Word 07, PDF)
Teaching with OPNET
- Vasil Hnatyshin, "OPNET Software for teaching and Research at Rowan University", Session 1020 during International Conference OPNETWORK 2012 in Washington DC, August 2012 (PDF).
- Vasil Hnatyshin, "Academic Instruction using OPNET Software", Session 1020 during International Conference OPNETWORK 2011 in Washington DC, August 2011 (PDF).
- V. Hnatyshin "Using OPNET software at Rowan University", invited presentation at Academic Instruction using OPNET software sessionduring OPNETWORK 2010 conference, Washington DC, August 2010 (PPTX)
- V. Hnatyshin and A. Lobo, "Undergraduate Data communications and Networking Projects Using OPNET and Wireshark Software," Inroads: SIGSCE Bulletin, Vol. 40, No 1, pp. 241 - 245, March 2008. (MS Word, PDF)
Simulation and Modeling
- Shahid Akhter, Jack Myers, Chris Bowen, Stephen Ferzetti, Patrick Belko, and Vasil Hnatyshin, "Modeling DDoS Attacks with IP Spoofing and Hop-Count Defense Measure Using OPNET Modeler," in Proceeding of OPNETWORKS 2013, Session 1538: Customer Presentations: Specialized Topics in Simulation.. Washington, DC, August 2013. (PDF)
- Steve Gennaoui, Jianhua Yin, Samuel Swinton, and Vasil Hnatyshin, "Investigation and Comparison of MPLS QoS Solution and Differentiated Services QoS Solutions," in Proceeding of OPNETWORKS 2013, Session 1540: Customer Presentations: High-Speed Switching, Optical Networks and QoS. Washington, DC, August 2013. (PDF)
- V. Hnatyshin and M. Simmons, "Practical Methodology for Development and Deployment of Standard Applications Process Models using OPNET Modeler," in Proceeding of OPNETWORKS 2007, Session 1558 Case Studies: Advanced Simulation Technology. Washington, DC, August 2007. (MS Word)
- V. Hnatyshin, G. Gramatges, and M. Stiefel, "Practical Considerations for Extending Network Layer Models with OPNET Modeler," in Proceedings of The 18th IASTED International Conference on Modeling and Simulation (MS 2007), May 30 - June 1, 2007, Montreal, Quebec, Canada (PDF, MS Word)
- V. Hnatyshin, A. Lobo, P. Bashkirtsev, R. DeDomenico, A. Fabian, G. Gramatges, J. Metting, M. Simmons, and M. Stiefel "Modeling a University Computer Laboratory using OPNET Software," in Proceedings of Fourteenth International Conference on Telecommunication Systems: Modeling and Analysis, pp. 211 - 218, October 5-8, 2006, Reading PA (PDF, MS Word)
Fair and Scalable Load Distribution in the Internet
- V. Hnatyshin and A.S. Sethi, "Architecture for Dynamic and Fair Distribution of Bandwidth," International Journal of Network Management (Wiley), Volume 16, Issue 5, September/October 2006, pp 317- 336. (PDF)
- V. Hnatyshin, J. Ogren, J. Pucci, and C. Clement, "Influence of the discarding the out-of-profile packets policy on TCP traffic," In Proceedings of the 2005 International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Processing Techniques and Applications, Volume 3, pages 1215 - 1221, Las Vegas, NV (June, 2005). (PDF, MS Word)
- V. Hnatyshin and A.S. Sethi, "Estimation Based Load Distribution in the Internet," Computer Networks, Volume 48, Issue 4 , 15 July 2005, Pages 525-547 (PDF, Word)
- V. Hnatyshin and A.S. Sethi, "Scalable Architecture for Providing Per-flow Bandwidth Guarantees," Proceedings of the IASTED conference on Communications, Internet and Information Technology (CIIT 2004), St. Thomas, Virgin Isles, November 2004. (PDF, Word).
- V. Hnatyshin and A.S. Sethi, "Optimization of the Bandwidth Distribution Scheme for Handling Topology Changes," Proc. IPCCC'04, Phoenix, AZ, April 2004 (PDF, Word).
- V. Hnatyshin and A.S. Sethi, "Reducing load distribution overhead with message aggregation," Proc. of IPCCC '03, Phenix, AZ. PDF
- V. Hnatyshin and A.S. Sethi, ``Fair and Scalable Load Distribution in the Internet.'' Proc. 3rd International Conference on Internet Computing, Las Vegas, NV (June 2002). PDF
- V. Hnatyshin and A.S. Sethi, ``Achieving Fair and Predictable Service Differentiation Through Traffic Degradation Policies,'' Proc. SPIE QoS 2001, Conference on Quality of Service over Next-Generation Data Networks, Denver, CO (Aug. 2001). PDF, PS
- V. Hnatyshin and A.S. Sethi, ``Avoiding Congestion Through Dynamic Load Control,'' Proc. ITCom-2001, SPIE's International Symposium on The Convergence of Information Technologies and Communications, Denver, CO (Aug. 2001), pp. 309-323. PDF, PS
- V. Hnatyshin and A.S. Sethi, "Providing per-flow QoS using load distribution scheme", TR 2002-06, Department of Computer and Information Science, University of Delaware, Newark, DE, (February 2002).
SHAMAN: Spreadsheet-based Hierarchical Architecture for MANagement
- A.S. Sethi, D. Zhu, and V. Hnatyshin, ``Hierarchical Management of Battlefield Networks with the SHAMAN Management System.'' In Final Report (1996-2001) Advanced Telecommunications and Information Distribution Research Program (ATIRP) (A.J. Tardif and J.W. Gowens (eds.)), pp. 7.1-7.28, US Army Research Laboratory, 2001. PDF, PS
- A.S. Sethi, D. Zhu, V. Hnatyshin, and P. Kokati, ``Battlefield Network Applications of the SHAMAN Management System.'' Proc. MILCOM '01, IEEE Military Communications Conference, McLean, VA (Oct. 2001). PDF, PS
- A.S. Sethi, D. Zhu, V. Hnatyshin, P. Kokati, D.-P. Hsing, and L. Kant, ``Application of the SHAMAN Management System to Configuration Management of Tactical Internets.'' Proc. Fifth ARL/ATIRP Annual Conference, College Park, MD (March 2001). PDF, PS
- A.S. Sethi, K. Sivakumar, V. Hnatyshin, M. Humphrey, and B. Rivera, ``Integrating SAMAN Management Applications with Battlefield OPNET Simulations,'' Proc . Fourth ARL/ATIRP Annual Conference, College Park, MD (March 2000), pp. 319-324.
- Vasil Hnatyshin, "Cryptography and Secure Communication", Math/Science Day, April 12th, 2013
- Vasil Hnatyshin, "Academic Instruction Using OPNET Software", Session 1020 during International Conference OPNETWORK 2012 in Washington DC, August 2012 (PDF)
- Vasil Hnatyshin, "Dynamically Adjusting the Request Zone in GeoAODV Protocol", Session 1542 during International Conference OPNETWORK 2012 in Washington DC, August 2012 (PDF).
- University of Delaware, SIGNET group seminar, "Improving AODV route discovery through GPS coordinates", November 3rd, 2010 (PDF)
- Widener University, Computer Science club meeting "Opportunities after graduation: Master's degree?" October, 2010 (PDF)
- Invited panelist and presenter during "The Interplay of Simulation and Testbed" session sat TRIDENTCOM 2009, the 5th International Conference on Testbeds and Research Infrastructures for the Development of Networks and Communities, April 2009, Fairfax, VA.
- "Supporting Quality of Service in the Internet", Computer Science Colloquium, Feng Chia University, Taichung Taiwan. June 6, 2006
- "Bandwidth Distribution Scheme", MATH/CS ColloquiumRowan University, April 5, 2006.
- "Introduction to Computer Networks and OPNET Network Simulator", Summer Seminar for Williamstown HS CS Academy, June 29th, 2006, Computer Science Department, Rowan University
- "Supporting per-flow QoS using the Bandwidth Distribution Scheme," Computer Science Department, Rowan University, Fall 2004. PPT.
- "Quality of Service in the Internet," Presented at Rowan University Computer Science Seminar and Widener University Science Seminar, December 2003. PPT
- "Providing fair and scalable per-flow Quality of Service through the load distribution techniques," Presented at the University of Delaware Special Interests Group in Networking meeting, November 2002.
- "Differentiated Services: A new Approach to QoS for Internet," Presented at the University of Delaware Special Interests Group in Networking meeting, October 1999.